My Blog List

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Why Calgary?

When I decided to study abroad in Calgary, lots of my friend asked me:” Why did you choose Calgary?”   Even though I’ve been living in Calgary 23 days; my classmate who also come from Taiwan asked me the same question.  Maybe I can post the reasons on my blog.
At first, I made a decision that I want to study English instead of work in Canada.   I’ve been worked for 2 years, since I graduated from university.   I would like to return to be a student and keep learning English which is my favorite subject.   And I prefer to learn American English.   I’ve been told that American is not a friendly country.   I searched lots of information about studying abroad.   I found that people, who studied English in Canada, said Canada is a wonderful country!  Canadian is kind and friendly.
Second, I need to make another decision.  Which school do I like?  I think that it will be much easy to find a school which is suitable for me by choosing the province as step1.  Step 1, I chose province of Alberta, because it’s in the west of Canada.  It’s not so far as Ontario.  The weather is comfortable at summer, cold at winter.  But it’s not cold as Manitoba and Saskatchewan.  The most important reason is the tax!  There is no Provincial Sales Tax in Alberta.  Step 2, I have to make a decision between University of Calgary and University of Alberta.  I visited each website of these two schools.  I found that it only takes 1 and half hours to drive from University of Calgary to Banff!!  And the activity program!!  Olympic Oval!!  Great!  That’s it!!  That’s what I want!!!
That’s why I’m studying English here now.  And I am so happy that I made a right choice.  People here are really friendly.  I’ve been helped by different people twice when I got lost and missed the bus.  I have a nice host family.  I meet lots of classmates come from many countries.  All of my teachers are hard-working.  I went to Banff last weekend!!  And now, it’s snowing.  I love snow!  Let it snow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment